When you save a List as template(STP file) that has a lookup column referring to another list, and if you copy the template to another site then you need update the List ID in manifest.xml file to your new list id.
- To do this copy the Lookup List guid ID to a notepad
- Rename the .STP file to .CAB
- Double click the cab file and copy the elements.xml to local folder
- Open the elements.xml file in Notepad
- Search for the Lookup field and change the List attribute to the new lookup list id.
- To copy the Elements.xml file back to the CAB file
- Browse to the folder c:\windows\system32 and type makecab c:\yourfolder\elements.xml c:\cabfoldername\mylist.cab
- This command will push the Elements.xml file to the cab file.
- Rename the new cab to .STP extension
- Upload the file to the list templates folder in your website
That’s it. Done.